13 September 2008


There are at least ten places in Wales that have Malvern as part of their name:
Malvern, Bethel Road, Caernarfon, Gwynedd
Malvern, Limekiln Rd, Pontnewynydd, Pontypool, Torfaen
Malvern, Wellington St, Aberaeron, Dyfed
Malvern, The Beacon, Rosemarket, Milford Haven, Dyfed
Malvern, Peter St, Rhosllanerchrugog, Wrexham
Malvern, Crundale, Haverfordwest, Dyfed
Malvern, Carway, Kidwelly, Dyfed
Malvern, Rhostrehwfa, Llangefni, Isle of Anglesey
Malvern, Freystrop, Haverfordwest, Dyfed
Malvern, Penparc, Cardigan, Dyfed

Named after The Malvern Hills, close to the Welsh border in England, Malvern was originally settled by Welsh settlers in the 1600s. William Penn sold them the land for ten cents an acre, along with the rest of the land on the Welsh tract, or the Main Line. Malvern was incorporated as a borough in 1889, from portions of Willistown Township.
Malvern is the last stop of the original Main Line railroad into Philadelphia. Today, the railroad has expanded several more stations west of Malvern, but none are associated with the Main Line, and Malvern is still considered the end of the Main Line.

The median income for a household in the borough was $62,308, and the median income for a family was $79,145. Males had a median income of $45,281 versus $39,129 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $35,477. About 0.9% of families and 2.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.8% of those under age 18 and 3.2% of those age 65 or over.

The borough has a website.

12 September 2008


The town of Paoli grew around a 1769 inn kept by Joshua Evans, whose father bought 500 acres (2 km²) from William Penn in 1719 near the current site of the Paoli Post Office. Evans named his inn after General Pasquale Paoli, a Corsican, after he had received the 45th and final toast at a St. Patrick's Day celebration.

Paoli was on the Philadelphia and Lancaster Turnpike, which was later absorbed into the Lincoln Highway, and became U.S. 30 still later. In a nod to the old days, most locals still call the route "Lancaster Pike".
For generations, Paoli was the western terminus of Pennsylvania Railroad commuter trains coming from Philadelphia on the Main Line. The "Paoli Local" became iconic in the western suburbs. Long-distance trains would also stop at Paoli station, but with the decline of long-distance train travel, those became less frequent, although Amtrak continues to use the station.
Commuters traveling by rail within Southeastern Pennsylvania use the Paoli station, although most local trains serving Paoli now terminate in Malvern, one stop to the west. Septa's R5 commuter rail runs between Thorndale and Philadelphia both ways every 30 minutes during the week. For local college students and city-working suburbanites, the R5 is their main artery to school and work each day. Station-to-Station, a trip from Paoli to downtown Philadelphia on the R5 takes approximately 45 minutes. [1] Local buses traverse Route 30 all up and down the Main Line, and Paoli Pike is the main artery for buses heading to West Chester.

The local business association has a website.

11 September 2008


Berwyn-Devon is a census-designated place that describes the populated area of what the residents and the post office consider the two separate towns of Devon and Berwyn, in Chester County, Pennsylvania, United States. As of the 2000 census, the population was 5,067. Devon and Berwyn are both part of the Pennsylvania's Main Line.
There is no governmental unit associated with either, and both are split between the governmental units of Tredyffrin Township (in the north) and Easttown Township (in the south).

10 September 2008


Devon-Berwyn is a census-designated place that describes the populated area of what the residents and the post office consider the two separate towns of Devon and Berwyn, in Chester County, Pennsylvania, United States. As of the 2000 census, the population was 5,067. Devon and Berwyn are both part of the Pennsylvania's Main Line.
There is no governmental unit associated with either, and both are split between the governmental units of Tredyffrin Township (in the north) and Easttown Township (in the south).

09 September 2008


Strafford is an unincorporated community in the southeastern part of the U.S. state of Pennsylvania, located partly in Tredyffrin Township, Chester County, and partly in Radnor Township, Delaware County. It is served by its own stop on the SEPTA R5 regional rail train line. It is also the site of the Strafford Friends School. It is in the Eastern Standard time zone. Elevation is 440 feet.
The Philadelphia and Western Railroad once ran to Strafford but service on its main line was discontinued on March 23, 1956, while service on the former branch line continues as The Norristown High-Speed Line. The portion of the abandoned P&W line in Radnor Township, ending in Strafford, is now a "rail trail" multi-use path.

08 September 2008


Wayne is an unincorporated community and a U.S. Post Office located on the Main Line, centered in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, United States. While the center of Wayne is in Radnor Township, Wayne extends into both Tredyffrin Township in Chester County and Upper Merion Township in Montgomery County. If one considers the large area served by the Wayne post office, the community may extend slightly into Easttown Township, Chester County, as well.

Wayne was originally named Louella, after founder J. Henry Askin's daughters Louisa and Ella.
Wayne's development began when a railroad stop called Cleaver's Landing was established. It was renamed Wayne Station after General Anthony Wayne. Parcels in the area totalling 293 acres were bought by banker J.H. Askin, where he built Louella House and developed some of the first homes in the area. The area became a favorite getaway for wealthy people wanting to enjoy the countryside.
The Valley Forge Military Academy is located in Wayne.

The township has a website.

07 September 2008

St. David's

St. Davids is a community in Radnor Township, Pennsylvania. It is served by its own train station.
The community, on the Pennsylvania Main Line, was named for St. Davids Church, an 18th century church in the area that was in turn named for St. David, the patron saint of Wales (the country of origin of many of the area's first European settlers).

06 September 2008


Radnor Township was founded 1682 as a land grant from William Penn. The township was part of the Welsh Tract and was named for Radnorshire in Wales. In 1717, the Welsh Friends erected a Quaker meetinghouse near what is now the intersection of Conestoga Road and Sproul Road at the geographic center of the township. The new town, "Radnorville", later known as the community of "Ithan" after nearby Ithan Creek, grew around the meetinghouse. The Welsh influence waned in the late 1700s as many left the area due to high taxation. Stone monuments were erected in various locations throughout the township in the late twentieth century to commemorate the township's Welsh heritage.

Like many of the elite communities of Philadelphia's Main Line, Radnor is a picturesque enclave in Radnor Township, Pennsylvania in Delaware County. Part of Radnor is also in Tredyffrin Township, Pennsylvania in Chester County. The unincorporated community is adjacent to Villanova and St. Davids, and is served by the SEPTA R5 and 100 regional train lines.
Once a country retreat for Philadelphia's most prominent families, the community is rich with unique and striking architectural assets, including the estates of Woodcrest (now Cabrini College), Eltonwood (now part of Eastern University), Bolingbroke, Rock Rose, and The Woods.
Villanova University, Cabrini College, the Valley Forge Military Academy and College, and Eastern University are all located within Radnor Township.
Some or all of the communities of Bryn Mawr, Garrett Hill, Rosemont, St. Davids, Villanova, Radnor and Wayne are located in Radnor Township.

Lancaster Pike, the first toll road in the United States, connected the cities of Philadelphia and Lancaster, Pennsylvania, passing through Radnor Township, opened in 1794. That road is now part of the Lincoln Highway (U.S. Route 30 in Pennsylvania). The Columbia Railroad, later part of the Pennsylvania Railroad also passed through in 1832. Thus, Radnor is one of the towns associated with the local moniker "Main Line." A separate railroad passing through Radnor Township, the Philadelphia and Western Railroad, was opened in the early twentieth century. The "Main Line" railroad facilities and a portion of the P&W facilities are still used by SEPTA (the Philadelphia area's transit authority), and the "Main Line" railroad tracks are also used by Amtrak.
In the 1880s, George W. Childs bought property in the community of Louella in the western part of Radnor Township, renamed the area Wayne, Pennsylvania (after American Revolutionary War hero Anthony Wayne) and organized one of the United States's first suburban developments.

The township has a website, touting itself as The Best Place to Live and Work.

05 September 2008


Villanova is a community in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. It straddles Lower Merion Township of Montgomery County and Radnor Township of Delaware County. It is part of the Pennsylvania Main Line and is served by the SEPTA R5 regional rail train.
The most notable feature of Villanova, is Villanova University, from which the community gains its name.

04 September 2008


Rosemont is a community in Pennsylvania on the Pennsylvania Main Line lying partly in Radnor Township, Pennsylvania and partly in Lower Merion Township, Pennsylvania.
Part of the geographic area is served by the Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania zip code. Rosemont is served by its own stops on both the R5 SEPTA Regional Rail line and the Norristown High Speed Line.

03 September 2008

Bryn Mawr

Bryn Mawr is a census-designated place in Lower Merion Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, just west of Philadelphia along Lancaster Avenue (US-30) and the border with Delaware County. Bryn Mawr is the home of Bryn Mawr College and as of the 2000 census, it had a population of 4,382. The name Bryn Mawr means big hill in Welsh and takes its name from an estate near Dolgellau in North Wales. This was the farm of Rowland Ellis, who emigrated to Pennsylvania from Dolgellau in 1686 to escape religious persecution.
Until 1869 and the coming of the Pennsylvania Railroad, the town was known as Humphreysville. The town was renamed by railroad agent William H. Wilson after he acquired, on behalf of the railroad, the 283 acres that now comprise Bryn Mawr.

02 September 2008


Haverford Township was founded by Welsh Quakers in 1681 from land purchased by William Penn. The first three families arrived in Haverford Township in 1682. Nitre Hall Powder Mills was in operation before 1810 and provided gunpowder for the War of 1812.

Haverford is an unincorporated community located partially in Haverford Township in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, but primarily in Lower Merion Township in Montgomery County, about ten miles west of Philadelphia. It is on the Main Line, which is known historically for its wealth. As of 2004, the average home price in Haverford was $795,736. The town borders the unincorporated portion of Haverford Township called Havertown, as well as the unincorporated communities of Bryn Mawr, Gladwyne, Ardmore, Wynnewood, and a small portion of Broomall. Haverford's name is derived from the name of the town of Haverfordwest in Wales. One translation of the word "Haverford" from the Welsh is goat crossing. Today, Haverford is most notable for being the site of Haverford College and one of the United States' oldest country clubs, the Merion Cricket Club. The town is connected to central Philadelphia by the SEPTA R5 commuter rail system and Norristown High Speed Line. It is in the Eastern Standard time zone. Its elevation is 318 feet.

01 September 2008


The community of Ardmore is a suburb in the west side of Philadelphia, primarily within Lower Merion Township in Montgomery County and is the seat of Lower Merion Township. However, the CDP also includes the area of Ardmore Park in adjacent Haverford Township in Delaware County. The population was 12,616 at the 2000 census. Originally named Athensville in 1853, the community was renamed Ardmore in 1873 by the Pennsylvania Railroad.

31 August 2008


Wynnewood, Pennsylvania is a suburban community located outside of Philadelphia in Lower Merion Township, Pennsylvania. Wynnewood was named in 1691 for Dr. Thomas Wynne, William Penn's physician and the first Speaker of the Pennsylvania General Assembly. Wynnewood is one of the many neighborhoods on the Pennsylvania Main Line, and encompasses suburban residential neighborhoods as well as institutions such as Lankenau Hospital, St. Charles Borromeo Seminary, Palmer Theological Seminary, and Friends' Central School.

30 August 2008


Narberth was incorporated in 1895.

The borough has a website.

29 August 2008


Merion is a community in Pennsylvania. It is in Lower Merion Township. It is contiguous to Philadelphia and is also bordered by Wynnewood, Narberth, and Bala Cynwyd. Merion Meeting House was built at the present intersection of Montgomery Avenue and Meetinghouse Lane in 1695 by Welsh settlers.

An important institution in Merion is the Barnes Foundation, an art display housed in a mansion on Latches Lane.

28 August 2008

Bala Cynwyd

Bala Cynwyd lies in the Welsh Tract of Pennsylvania, and was settled in the 1680s by Welsh Quaker settlers, who named it after the Welsh town of Bala and the Welsh village of Cynwyd. The American "Cynwyd" is, however, now pronounced /'kɪnwɪd/ ("kinwid"), not /'kənwɪd/ as it would be in the original Welsh pronunciation . It is often pronounced locally as /'kɪnwʊd/ ("kinwood").

Bala Cynwyd is a village in Lower Merion Township which is located in the Main Line in southeastern Pennsylvania, bordering the western edge of Philadelphia. It was originally two separate towns, Bala and Cynwyd, but is commonly treated as a single community. This came about when a single US Post Office was constructed to service both towns (The "Bala Cynwyd" Branch). Bala and Cynwyd are still served by separate stations on SEPTA's R6 Regional Rail line.

Among the claimants for First Boy Scout Troop in the United States is Troop 1 in Bala Cynwyd.