Haverford Township was founded by Welsh Quakers in 1681 from land purchased by William Penn. The first three families arrived in Haverford Township in 1682. Nitre Hall Powder Mills was in operation before 1810 and provided gunpowder for the War of 1812.
Haverford is an unincorporated community located partially in Haverford Township in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, but primarily in Lower Merion Township in Montgomery County, about ten miles west of Philadelphia. It is on the Main Line, which is known historically for its wealth. As of 2004, the average home price in Haverford was $795,736. The town borders the unincorporated portion of Haverford Township called Havertown, as well as the unincorporated communities of Bryn Mawr, Gladwyne, Ardmore, Wynnewood, and a small portion of Broomall. Haverford's name is derived from the name of the town of Haverfordwest in Wales. One translation of the word "Haverford" from the Welsh is goat crossing. Today, Haverford is most notable for being the site of Haverford College and one of the United States' oldest country clubs, the Merion Cricket Club. The town is connected to central Philadelphia by the SEPTA R5 commuter rail system and Norristown High Speed Line. It is in the Eastern Standard time zone. Its elevation is 318 feet.